Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Tilda in the house

Fast forward FOUR years later I finally made a Tilda doll this September.
That was how far the urged of wanting a Tilda doll went in October 2013.
Flipping through the pattern  from the book Sew Pretty Homestyle by Tone Finnanger, it look tricky  to the mind and I can assured you there's a thousand way I can go wrong just by looking
Which I did, but I was determine to not get frustrated, this time.
I have since added four more Tilda's books to my collection

The dress
The easy way out was a draped dress, it look easy peasy to sew, my thoughts but since my doll pattern came from the Garden and Kitchen Angel, I just had to sew her dress, which I am very sure will assist in  covering up all dreadful sewing flaws.  Now that idea sounded more appealing to embark on such a sheer amount of work to work with
I misread the pattern and cut the wrong pants from the wrong page first time, then it was too short and I didn't like how it look the second time. I remember measured twice and cut once. Yet the result didn't look like in the book.

Luckily, I have enough fabric for my tragic waste or  my lil' Tilly will have to be shamefully naked. I am glad I've decided  to put away those precious Tilda's fabrics  at this stage, knowingly sewing mishap can happen with me.

Crowning Glory
Is there a right way of doing it ? I did the best I could
The Jacket
Piecing together the jacket appear to take decades, every mistake is amplified. Practically I was sewing simultaneously with a seam ripper, even visualizing lil'Tilly without her jacket at one point.
When I decide to  not use Tilda's fabric and choose one from my stash, I didn't gave much thought on the color combination for the final piece; the jacket, causing much disastrous choices and much effort later I finally like what I see to go with that polka dots.

Many many night of sewing later, I 've done it ! LOL

I've made her little flower basket too to compliment her "Garden and Kitchen" pattern. I omitted the fairy wing thou. I can assured you it look pretty in picture but there's nip and tuck all over and I cheated with hand basting too.

Next challenge, a second doll is on the drawing board, I hope I improve my finishing skill with the second doll....will see

Mid Autumn Festival
It's the time of the year again where we celebrate the moon. This year, I am not baking any moon cakes for the occasion, so I bought a little to give away and received a little in return which is enough for the occasion. No big prayers for me unlike in some households where they will host family gatherings  and pray to the moon with little kids lighting their lanterns to play. It's a beautiful sight to see little kids with their lanterns walking the streets, reminiscing of a bygone era. Sadly the streets are not safe anymore  for the little people to go galloping in the streets without being chaperone and with parents having a busy lifestyle  these days, the kids are kept to play in their front porch or yard to play.
Happy Mid Autumn Festival, May you glow with the glorious moon !


8 comments:

Justine said...

Your Tilda doll is so pretty! It was interesting to read about the moon festival.

Vickie said...

Lillie! I am so very, very impressed with Tilly and her outfit! That little denim jacket is awesome! wOw! Well worth the effort!!

Brigitte said...

Oh my, Lillie, this little Tilda doll is just stunning. So nice to see through your pictures how you created her. I love everything around her - the dress, the jacket, the little basket with flowers. Perfect!!!!

Ariadne said...

Your Tilda looks lovely. Having made one doll this winter I know difficult it is.AriadnefromGreece!

Margie said...

Well done on the Tilda doll! She looks adorable in her polka dot outfit. Happy Mid Autumn Festival!

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Carol said...

I'm sure that wasn't easy to make, Lillie, but your Tilda doll looks so darling--well done!! Her basket of flowers is so detailed and tiny--a perfect addition :)

I enjoyed reading about the Mid Autumn Festival, too--must be a lovely sight to see the lanterns lit up like that.

Nima said...

wow...thats too cute Lillie...i love your doll