Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happenings in May

Stitching wise, not much of a progress made since my last posting on the Rose Sampler and the Lighthouse. I was drawn to stitch some smalls instead, some peeks here .

My Sweet Tooth mail art finally flew on the 23rd after a long wait. I finished it sometime in March but hold on to it till now since the mailing date is June 10 and it takes about 2 weeks to travel. I found a cute little cake pin at Living Cabin. Completed my Rose theme mail art although the mailing is end of July.

Made more flower pins , a FLOWER PIN TUTORIAL to make one to look like this
You will need these to make the pins.

1) Strong glue, I used Super Glue which I wrapped with a piece of tissue to protect the glue away from my fingers

2) Beads - Good size, not too large in MHO, and not too tiny, for the 'show' piece. You will need to judge the size yourself and the tiny seed beads as stopper so that it looked well balanced, to me that is

3) the pin size, longer ones will give you more space for more beads, which are hard to find from where I am at the moment coz' I've never found one yet at my local haberdashery but the colored ones on a pinwheel will do anyhow.
Place enough glue on the pin head, seen here I had put in the flower before the glue for easy handling. Thereafter add the tiny seed bead, add glue  to hold its position, you may add more beads before ending here, if you wishLet it dry, room temperature and its done ! really simple and easy, make sure the glue is strong enough to hold the pins . Happy trying  !


"Jung Cheet" (Dumpling Festival), a delicious savoury or sweet glutinous rice dumplings wrapped in bamboo leaves mark the celebration of the "jung cheet" festival. Celebrated on the 5th day of the 5th lunar month every year, the dumpling festival is heralded by grand dragon boat races in Penang. The festival this year falls on May 28.
MIL makes deliciously beautifully wrapped dumplings enough for everyone, grandma too when she was around, I shamefully admit, never tried, not even once, maybe next year I should I will.

Next mail art theme Initials. Patterns found, still undecided which or what or how.
Jeannette, sorry for my long overdue reply, here's the details on Pandan leaves which are widely used in Asian cooking for its aroma or natural green (coloring) in food, desserts and cakes. In Western countries, it might be available dried or check out Asian grocery?Healthwise, it has not been good lately. Jackie, thank you for asking, and like always the recovery period always makes me more prone to tiredness and feeling like a vegie.

Friday, marks the last day of school. School closed for 2 weeks for Diane, while Vincent starts his first freshman year on Monday.

Thank you everyone for visiting, hope you will all have a good Monday and a beautiful week ahead.

Goodnite.
edited : June 1 10:51am

11 comments:

Daffycat said...

Oh, Lillie! Your pins are just lovely! I'd like to make some now!

Jackie said...

your pins keeper is beautiful, love the donut, yummy.

Nima said...

wow...you pins look lovely...thank you for sharing the idea

Cindy said...

Your donut looks so real.
Thanks for the tutorial on those beautiful pins. I will try it out one of these days.

Jeanie said...

Your pins are lovely !
Thank you for the great tutorial :)

Dawn B. said...

Your pins are very cute..Thanks for the tutorial. You have been a busy person in the month of May.

Ranae said...

The stitchijng is beautiful and the beads are beautifully creative.
Thanks for sharing

Carmen said...

wow! i love it ! is a wonderful idea.The pins look so pretty.

Mylene said...

I just LOVE your pins!!

Brigitte said...

I love all your small finishes, they are adorable. I'm already very curious to see them turned into something.
What a neat idea to make such cute pins. Very creative!
I hope tha your health will improve very soon and that you will feel fine again.

Zoe said...

Oh, I love the pins. It is always so nice to see pretty new ideas! The dumplings look very yummy. You should try to make some, I think it would be a fun cooking project!