Embracing the spirit of Chinese New Year festivity, here are the traditional cookies, a must have or Chinese New Year would be incomplete without.
Pineapple tarts, I shaped mine open face just like mom's and as how I remembered it. These absolutely addictive tarts are buttery, flaky and crumbly.
Kuih Bangkit literally translated as Fragrant Cookies, it's supposed to crunch when you bite and melts in your mouth thereafter, unfortunately mine didn't do very well in the mouth. It's my first attempt. (it's made from a combination of sago or tapioca flour with coconut milk as it's key ingredients) and lately with arrowroot flour as with mine. Next time I will use tapioca flour, the traditional way.
Honeycomb cookies is not easy to make, one would need great agility with great multi tasking skills, unless you had a helper. Thus, I resolved to just buy from the egg lady at the market who has been pestering of lately everytime I went to get eggs. Saved from slaving over a pot of hot oil, LOL !
Peanut Cookies, another melts in the mount with its fragrant fine, soft peanut butter like and pop-able mouth size, a definitely 'once you started-you-can't-stop eating'. I took the easy way out by using the processed grinded groundnuts from the bakery much to mom's disapproval, but still it turn out well with it's nutty aroma.
Kuih Kapek , is referred as Love Letters is an essential feature of Chinese New Year, another time consuming to bake, that is irresistible once you start eating. I am not ready to take the plunge and rolled up my sleeves yet over a barbecue stove turning the mould. So I ordered from the lady at the wet market like every year.
This is my virtual magazine cover, LOL. Found a template on android mobile. I can no longer remember the designer nor the chart of this White Stallion, this was stitched long before the existence of computer and blogs and probably some 30ish years ago on 14 count Green Aida. Since Chinese New Year this year is year of the horse, it's perfect as my virtual first cover. ' wink'
Year of the Horse
May the horse glides into
the year 2014
bringing you good health and happiness
and another great year with lots of stitches.
Happy New Year
to all who celebrates and on holidays






8 comments:
Oh yummy! Hope you all are having a lovely week.
May your new year bring every happiness, Lillie :)
Wow, so much yummy cookies..
Happy New Year to you and your family! Good Health and all the best for 2014!
Hugs,
Happy New Year Lillie.
Lillie, looking at all these cookies makes my mouth water. They must be terrific. But I can understand that you weren't ready to make all of them yourself. Some really look as if they are a whole lot of work to bake.
All the best to you in your new Year of the Horse.
Happy New year to you Lillie
Happy New Year Lillie. The year of the horse is very special to me as our son was born in a 'horse' year. Your baking looks yummy.
Wow, so many goodies, they all look delicious :) Happy New Year to you, hope it's a great one!
Sue
Post a Comment