Friday, December 14, 2012

King of Fruits

We know the fruit seasons are in when makeshift stall such as this began mushrooming along roadsides.
The King of Fruit, the stinky spiky, pungent fruit seem to have mushroomed overnight. It seem that the year-end harvest is more than usual. The favourites are the Musang King variety; distinguished by their brownish-green or rather duck shit green and broad spikes. .
The flesh is yellowish, creamier, thicker and the best quality are known to be bitter-sweet to taste
Sukang is the jungle variety, less sort  because of thinner flesh and drier taste and some describe it as carrot flavour or ash like and less pungent. These are collected by the orang Asli (Native tribe) from the hills, so they are known as Jungle Durian too
I got to visit a friend who owns a small plot of Rambutans Trees on one weekend
who has some Geese that seem curious of its visitors. I don't know what bred, it's the grey and white and known to pinch, LOL!
Always sharing the season with the King of Fruits is the Magoesteen, hence it's known as the Queen of Fruits! 
We have a bit more of thorny abundance this time. I had to store some of the pulps in the freezer and so decided to make some Durian Cream Puff with fresh durian puree
First attempt at Durian Cream puffs wasn't with satisfaction. I kept thinking it didn't look like it should.  I don't know if its the filling or the choux pastry but I knew I just had to give it a second try, thou the kids had no complaints, it tasted even better after it was chilled especially the durian puree.
The  second bake choux pastry was definitely a winner.  Sorry the photos didn't looked what it should, it was taken with my mobile at midnight where the light wasn't helping.

I google for the recipe and source from four but nailed it down to two. Recipe adapted from : Quay Po Cooks & Nasi Lemak Lover , the second bake adapted from Small Cakes from Fondant Fancies to Florentines by Roger Pizey

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Wow, the durians make my mouth waters, I love them!

Your cream puffs look very yummy!

Hugs,

Lumiruusu said...

Thank You for the "blog trip to exotic country " again...I just love your posts about your country-I have seen some of those fruits in television in some National Geography document..very intersting really!! :)

We have get snow day after day and weatherman said that I will keep on snowing until Christmas...
:) :)

Siobhán said...

I have never seen or heard of those fruits before--neat!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Dani - tkdchick said...

What an exotic fruit to a little Canadian like me I don't think I've ever seen fruit like that before.