Friday, December 21, 2012

It's Winter Solstice

December is now upon us, ringing in the festive season and also marking the end of yet another year. I am sure many bloggers are winding down too busy with preparations for Christmas especially now that Christmas are only days away

For us in Asia, its Happy DongZhi day today 
Celebrating Winter Solstice , its a festival . Winter here means raining seasons, LOL!
'Eat these and you will be one year older today', as I was told by my grandma and I have since passed it on to my kids ever sinceToday they just laugh it off ! LOL

I made the Tang Yuen the night before.
Tang Yuen is made from glutinous rice flour into brightly coloured balls which symbolize reunion. The flour balls may be plain or stuffed, cooked in a sweet soup or savoury broth with both the ball and the soup/broth served in one bowl

 I took leave today but the kids had to work, oh! Have I not mentioned that both kids got themselves temp job from 9 to 6 with FrogAsia? Vincent is on Sem break while Diane has officially ended her chapter in school life and awaiting new beginning. But before that, she will have to first answer the call for National Service in January 2013. And how did they do on their first day at work ? 'bored to death and damn tiring' Can you imagine them working for like 20 years? LOL

Most people finish work early on this festival and go home for lavish meals with their families. They’ll usually include tangyuan on the menu. I am having dinner at my In-laws with the entire clan..err... family.

Happy Dong Zhi !



5 comments:

Carol said...

Happy Dong Zhi, Lillie! I enjoyed reading about your festival and your traditions of the Tang Yuen. Sorry it is rainy season there--we are to get snow here tomorrow, just in time for Christmas!!

Vickie said...

Thank you for sharing Lillie. So interesting, I had never heard of this.

Ellen said...

Happy Dong Zhi! I don't celebrate this festival but my mum will make tangyuen every year.

Also wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!

Brigitte said...

It's always very interesting to read about your life and your traditions.
It's such a new experience when our children enter the working world, isn't it? My childeen were also always working during their school breaks and were very proud of the money they were earning.

I wish you and your family a restful festive season.

Sharon said...

I had to laugh about your kids being tired and bored at work! My 18 year is working and you would think it's killing him! LOL Thanks for sharing your traditions-I enjoyed it.