Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Challenge and the gifts

Inspired by a little Yellow Belly birdie that occasionally visits my little back lane garden lately  lead me to recreate this birdie for The Needles N Craft 5th Anniversary Bird Challenge.
Wouldn't you agree with me that this is definitely better looking?  LOL, Details of the nest and a little ladybird
How wonderful this could be if only these birds are real and nesting in my garden
I  happen to chance upon this thread cutter some weeks back while I was scouting for some things and thought that it would make a great item to contribute to the goodie bag aka door gift for the Anniversary Meet. I added a pin wheel to my contribution. I dare not dare myself to handmade twenty items even though I had initially thought of stitching up the Emily Rose  needlebook . 
Desperation  eleventh hour project for the Hostess, Mel who had graciously offered her home for this Anniversary Meet because the original one that I had in mind and completed failed on me at the last hour. Its another bird inspired theme CANDLE STAND  which I had got some of my blog readers very curious.
With velvet and felts I made this pincushion. The red Cherries on top are stumpwork cherries sewed on to the velvet pincushion. Here's another view from the side angle.
And I thought that the leg looked a bit plain and thus gave it a bit of a deco with an apple and some twigs and felt leaves. Hope Mel likes it.

More candle holder revealed ~ Mannequin Pincushion, a 2011 design by  Kimberly designs.
It wasn't smooth sailing sewing for me. I couldn't align the shoulders and had a hard time adjusting the neck, then how can I find approximate 2cm Christmas Ball at this time of the year to finish it off ? I practically hunt down (so to speak) a shop selling Malay wedding paraphernalia  and found the flower broach that kinda fit well with this since I do not have any other choice. Then fitting the Mannequin on to the candle stand with the form board base couldn't hold on the stand and I had to abandon two of this.
I substitute the base for my third project with  carpet tile cutting which turned out good. This was meant for  Margaret's new sewing room and home.  Its a belated gift Sorry for the blurry photo, The fabric was chosen to match the gifts of my cartonage box and needlebook that I gave Margaret on  her birthday last year. Actually. I've added some laces to the neck but forgot to snap that finished piece.
The next felt craft, Cornflower cone appliqué pincushion design by Elizabeth Hooper  from Pretty Little Pincushion by Susan Bate was made for Jackie in mind together with the Emily Rose needle book in matching colors


So my long silence from crafting is actually secretly crafting all these with the need to complete in time for handing over to the new owners at the meet.  I will be posting about  the meet and details of the dress soon.

Its gloomy now, thundering too, looks like rain is coming and I will need to get dinner soon, so wish you a pleasant evening and  a Happy Monday !

3 comments:

Barbara J said...

Cute little bird and nest too! Quite ornate. I've seen the Mannequin tutorial in a video recently, very cute indeed!

Mylene said...

Busy-bee you are, Lillie. Great job and all are looking lovely!!

zarina said...

We were all admiring the garden at the foot of the bird. And the candlestick - would not have thought to do it that way. Great way.

Oh yes, I did not realize you gave us scissors else I would have given you ten sen. Sorry.