Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry & Bright, a Christmas box

The design on my box topper is from 2010 JCS  Christmas Issue design by CCN. The box measured at 18cm x 18cm x 10cm. White Evenweave fabric and  DMCs. I have added the year and our initials among the snowflakes.
 Exterior of box finished in Chrismassy design cotton fabric in red background and a flower bell charm that to me looked like poinsettia which happened to on its sides and not visible from the front.
 Interior of box in similar design fabric with the exterior but white base
The things that I included in the box; LHN's Stars and Stripe (I hope she has not own one yet), Angry Bird tape measure, a jar pincushion filled with an assortment of buttons, a patriotic badge , floss in Christmas colors, laces wrapped over a Dressmaker's mannequin winder and a box of  home brand Mint Bitter Chocolate by Beryl's, all individual wrapped.
 and a store bought Santa Ornament which I added with a stitch piece of  Daffycat's/Sharon freebie "BELIEVE" complete my box.
Finally arrived at the home of  Becky K after approximately travelling for twenty days. The delivery time took a little longer than expected to arrive, and yes, I was all jittery even thou knowingly that the delay could be due to the heavy Christmas mailing. But because I wanted it to arrive before Christmas, I was full of anxiety, my greatest fear was 'lost' or worst case scenario 'I wrote the address wrongly'. Phobia took over me! Tracing the delivery schedule via the postal service didn't even help ease my worry during the wait. Now that the package arrived safely, I sit back, shake my head and laugh at myself for having my silly moments. LOL


A closer look at two things from the box.
Dressmaker's Mannequin winder. An idea inspired by   Mirkwood Designs also because Jess gave me the doll winder on my birthday  prompted me to this.  I had this template with me since 2009 which I never got around to doing it until now. While working out the Dressmaker's Mannequin winder, I thought of a spool winder which I had occasionally seen surface in blog world but can' t remember whose now.
Something whimsy, I am no fan of Angry Birds, dunno why, just never like the game but when its a tape measurement, its a different story, LOL. All that was left on the shelve at the store was the black bird. There was no red or yellow or blue.
The last piece,a store bought snowman in felt that was given a new life because I didn't like how it looked and so I  took it apart from its original state which was flat, plump it up with some fibers, restitched, accessorized with buttons, added a star onto his hat and finishing it off with a Merry Christmas plague. I forgot to take a picture of the original thou.
The Dong Zhi Festival
or Winter Solstice Festival is here again which marks another cycle of the year. The most important festivals celebrated by the Chinese and other East Asians. During the Dongzhi solar term (winter solstice) today where the sunshine is at its weakest and daylight shortest. So we are having Tang Yuen which symbolize reunion, unity and harmony within the family. Tang Yuan, is a special sweet dessert of made of glutinous rice flour balls, is indispensable during this festival.
This year I had black sesame and red bean paste filling which are the larger ones. In sugar ginger syrup or  rolled it into grounded groundnut. Unfortunately the black bean paste balls didn't hold quite while as is evident in the syrup.
Dong Zhi, like Chinese New Year is basically a time for family reunion. It took place 6 weeks before Chinese New Year and would normally fall between 21st Dec and 23rd Dec, basically the same week as Christmas. "Yuen" (literally meaning "round") signifies "yuen man" (complete) and Tang Yuen means "tuan yuen" (family reunion). For good luck, families prefer to have some pink and white colored tang yuen.
"Happy Winter Solstice Festival"

Thank you all for coming by,I so appreciate all your comments, Chirstmas is now days away, are you ready to celebrate? Enjoy doing whatever you are doing, wherever you maybe, in the  tropics or winterland and across the globe and DON'T BE NAUGHTY !

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Lillie, the Christmas box is just gorgeous. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Sorry to hear your parcel took so long to arrive but it must of been well wortht he wait!

Its a beautiful exchagne with lots of great items inside!

barbara said...

The box and goodies you sent are absolutely wonderful! Becky must be overjoyed!The food is fascinating - so many cultures yet to be "discovered" by me in my culinary endeavors!! :) Wishing you a joyous winter season.

Ellen said...

Your box is gorgeous! Love all the goodies you put together!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Hugs,

Patty C. said...

Beautiful Box
Merry Christmas
Enjoy your Holiday !!

Nima said...

wow...it was really an eye candy...wishin you a merry christmas...