Friday, June 24, 2011

Bulb lighting moments

When I have my moments, its all the way, otherwise I'll go on procrastinating and get nothing done. Those moments came some weeks back.

 

Hexa flowers..been piercing these  on some nites..fabric ramnants, various sources. No idea yet as to what will become of this, just needed to see if I am able capable of piercing it all together. Started this is March, cutting the templates while seriously into  fabric cutting and piercing only began some three weeks ago. I lost count of how many times I poke myself during basting. This is all new to me.
and the ripping then sewing and ripping and sewing on my old machine which was forced to work over the overly thick  jeans fabby many times. I am lucky for no broken needles.  Sewing took two weeks to complete including sewing  into the night  on some week days, the fabric cutting was done earlier about a month ago, then I wasn't in the right set of mind to start sewing.
Named Bag Number Three, Three for its the third fabric in line to be cut but got finished first, all because I suddenly figured it out  how to construct with the sewing and all while I was assembling the other fabrics for sewing.
Diane modelling the bag, its hers to keep after all this is what she requested for the fabric of her choice.
Lined with calico fabric with one pocket inside, that navy blue strip is from a cut-off jeans legging (never been worn jeans that is) that a friend managed to salvage from a jeans shop. I don't know how she got that seamstress to part with the ramnants to her. She dropped off a bag at my door step some three months ago.
Apparently the size is a bit too big for the strap. Shall change this when I find a more suitable size.
Bag size : L 14" x W 12" - Long adjustable strap. Fabric from Kamdar.

Bag Number One was this, my red and white weekender tote.
Size : L 18" x W 15" (excluding handle at 5"H)
A big enough to carry all my possible stuff of a couple of projects on a weekend trip or just for loitering around killing some hours while waiting for Diane to finish her lessons . The bag idea from here, "Sweet Bag" chosen because it looked easiest of all and big enough  from the entire book.
While finishing that, I thought I should sew another small tote in matching fabric for my mini DVD /laptop  to go with Bag Number One. I had a short strap for easy handling.
Size : W 14.5" x L 12" Fabric from Kamdar, Calico and canvas.
Bag Number Two or should this be numbered Four is one that I wasn't sure what or how it will be . I had no pattern for this and because my hands could not  come to terms with my mind , it become this.
Its a scrappy tote combo from the lot of ramnants jeans cut-off and Diane's bag and if I make the inside lining pretty enough, its reversible too. All I had for the inside lining is a  navy with white,pink and bits of yellow flowers cotton fabric. I forgot to snap the inside.
Size : H 12" x L9"(excluding handle  of 5.5" H).

And lastly, I finally joined the bandwagon of mug rug madness.I must be the last one in line, LOL.
I made two because I wasn't happy with the first one, this   
so I made another, giving better thoughts to color combination.
Its all done, not perfect but happy to have tried thou, with lots and lots of tuck-ins here and there to cover up all the flaws. The mug rug was the in between project just to take a breather while working on the bags, also sort of a  time out while figuring out the construction details of the bag.

Now that the light bulb is no longer lit, I shall get back to cross-stitching. Btw, received the 4th round LHN Stitching Needlework robin.

Have a good crafting weekend everyone !

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Love your bags, they are great! I am no good at sewing unless I have the teacher beside me.

Hugs,

Margaret wong said...

Wow! You really have been busy making bags!!! They look as if you have been making bags all your life, and not from a first timer! Well, mug rugs are for using up your scraps, so there's no right or wrong about them. Great job!!

Barbara J said...

OMG! You made 4 bags??? Gosh .. talk about over achiever! LOL!! Well done on all of them and the mug rugs ... great attempts! Work at it and I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake in no time!

Brigitte said...

Oh Lillie, these bags are simply fantastic. Absolutely great!!!

Anonymous said...

Cute hexies. Fantastic effort with 4 bags. But your over-achieving ;-) is making us look bad!
JessW.