Monday, June 06, 2011

" Chang" the festival

The 'Chang' ( Chinese dumpling)  festival is back!!!  its celebrated every year on the 5th day of the 5th lunar month in the Chinese calendar, which is today. Its one of my favourite festival, I am simply mad over these glutinous rice dumplings, LOL but lately anything with glutinous rice seems to have taken a toll on these old bones of mine. Well,I shall indulge first and suffer the pain later. That's my motto for today! hahaha.

I have yet to attempt these scrumptious leaf wrapping triangle 'Chang' on my own, yet..means one day I shall attempt, one day....wrapping the chang is most intimidating and tedious, so it seems to me but then again these days you can buy them at every street corner if one do not know how or can't wrap a chang properly, but if you are like me, I am lucky..I used to have grandma, then when I got married , my MIL, I know DIL are suppose to know how to, but hey! time changes DIL are no longer stay at home doing the house chores anymore, we bring home pay checks too, LOL. Anyway, MIL used to make all kinds of stuffing to accommodate all her family members taste buds.  Not all chang is full of glutinous rice containing meat, salted duck yolk, mushrooms, chestnut, oyster and dried shrimp. There are also those filled with just beans ingredients, or nutty and the  'kee chang' lye water which has nothing at all, but taste heavenly when eaten (dip, sandwich, buttered) with kaya or gula melaka syrup. Then again, we do have some weired tastes people in the family who want a 'kosong Kiam Chang' meaning the glutinous rice without any condiments in it yet flavoured to taste like the meaty dumplings.

I know,  IT IS yummy and my tummy is growling..LOL
Thank you for taking a peek, hope your Monday is good.

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Sounds like a very fun meeting- I love all the flosses and linens!