Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tuffets, a festival and a wedding

Tuffets making. I didn't know there was a name for these until I read it here . Its pincushion to me..LOL

It looked easy, straight line sewing that I could managed. So I thought. One reason I don't quilt. I am ever worried about the unevenness of my sewing and putting the pieces together and sizing it all symmetrically alined which is a very scary thing. Even in this straight line sewing, sewing slowly, I still can't get it all pieced together equally in size. Yes, I measured and drew lines on the fabric but no, the sewing machine and my hand just won't cooperate . The Christmassy fabric piece contained so much flaws , I tried a second and still not happy with it. I don't know if I will ever attempt another one. Its so much work .

The Festival, Tong Yuen festival or Winter Solstice falls today . It was regarded as the beginning of the annual reawakening of nature or welcoming of winter, winter in China. Here, we had rain and the raining season, but its a tradition where family members get together to have a meal. The roundness of the rice balls signifies a wholesome, complete family. Made from glutinous rice and rolled into balls served either in hot ginger syrup or pandan flavoured syrup or in soya bean milk, but these days people are getting more creative and Tang Yuan comes with different types of filling like peanut, black sesame, red bean etc. This year I made 2 versions.
Tang Yuen in ginger sugar syrup
Tang Yuen in soya milk

This is another bake gone wrong, thou the texture came out smooth but the cake deflated after coming out of the oven .
Edited : Forgot to add that this is Lemon Sponge Cake
The Wedding, a Malay wedding of a neighbour's daughter 2 Sundays ago. Dallia married a Sarawakian, Aziz . This is the bersanding ceremony at the bride's home. The groom's bersanding ceremony was held a week later in Sarawak . We teased the bridesmaid, Ana (in Pink)the bride's sister more. She is the youngest of 4 girls in the family, three of whom are married now.
Thanks for visiting, tomorrow I will reveal my Christmas projects.

No comments: