,FIt is believed traditionally by the Chinese that hell break lose during this month. It is said that the gates of hell are open and spirits from the underworld are free to roam the earth where they seek food and entertainment. It is known as the Hungry Ghost Festival and regarded as the Ghost Month, in which ghosts and spirits, including those of the deceased ancestors, come out from the lower realm to visit the living. The Dead visit the Living? Do they exist? I wouldn't take my chances, ancestors or not, instead during their month, I rather give them their due respect. People also tends to refrain from late nights during this month.
Here are some pictures from the festivity held at my In-laws village last nite.
The main offerings such as these are a must for this festivity. Below are from the family table. Normally, creativity are a must in terms of decorating everything that are being offered.





Because creativity is involved, I loved to see what others have to offer. Here, I stole some snaps from then neighbour's displayed table, the one on the left is a male domain, no females were spotted at the table to decorate or put up their items.
Known as the Black Gold which are actually formation from charcoal, with gold figurines of the 8 Immortals decorated. Estimated to have cost its owner RM600.00 to put together including the glass case
A sampan filled with chocolates and the owner's business card. Apparently he is in the Automobile business
Loved those mini pink baskets

Some cute looking food, I believed these are dumplings
Smoke filled the sky where incense, joss paper, a paper-mache in all form of items such as clothes, gold and other fine goods for the visiting spirits of the ancestors are burnt to mark the end of the offerings. I missed pictures of this massive burnings because I fell asleep and did not woke up until past midnight when all ends.
Here are some pictures from the festivity held at my In-laws village last nite.
The main offerings such as these are a must for this festivity. Below are from the family table. Normally, creativity are a must in terms of decorating everything that are being offered.
Because creativity is involved, I loved to see what others have to offer. Here, I stole some snaps from then neighbour's displayed table, the one on the left is a male domain, no females were spotted at the table to decorate or put up their items.
Some cute looking food, I believed these are dumplings
Thanks everyone for visiting me on another non-crafting post and also for your kind words left
on my last post.
5 comments:
that's a new information. thank you for sharing it with pictures.
This is an eye-opener! So much and such elaborate offerings to apease the spirit world!
Wow! Those are some spectacular displays of creativity. Thanks for sharing this bit of Chinese culture.
It's always interesting to read your posts about the culture in your country and to look at the great pictures you add.
What an awesome festival. Interesting bit of trivia/history/beliefs.
Post a Comment