Monday, August 04, 2008

Fruits Galore

Every year about this time, its our fruits season.Two weeks back, I took a walk around the back yard and spotted these? Last weekend, we harvested the fruits.





Its one of my favourite, the Mangoesteen (Gracinia Mangostana) look at the white segments of the flesh...juicy and sweetly.
and this was sitting on the front porch when we got home on Saturday, 2 boxes full of the durians (Durio zibethinus) MIL used to have 3 durian trees in the back yard including a chiku (chickle sapodila ) tree and pulasan (poolasan) (Nephelium mutabile Blume - which is a close allie of the rambutans) before they were fell to make way for space to dry cuplumps rubber or rubber scrap.this carries a strong smell which might be unpleasant to some but the rich cream custard like pulp is sure a yummy!
2 types of Jackfruit, the smaller 2 are Cempedak (Artocarpus chempeden) and the larger one, this is really hugh in size is the Nangka (Artocarpus heterphyllus). These were planted in the old house.






Eat the Cempedak fresh or made it into fritters but not the nangka. Nangka is always eaten fresh or is there any other way?
* Images of the ' cut open' fruits are from image search as I have yet to cut the fruits. These are part of our local fruits

Now for some stitching news
Received word from Dawn that she received my PIF - my 3rd. I gave Dawn her favourite things which are : color blue, pussycats and a lighted Eeyore pen by Disney and 2 cuts of fabrics. Design by Aurelle, if I am not mistaken..I must check this out and finished into a pinkeep and surprisingly this took a shorter time to reach her compared to the last envie.

The back in batik fabric
Edit : Confirmed its a Design freebie by Aurelle - freebie link
Gail Bussi's Hearts Entwined, considered done? except for the beads, a heart charm and the words above those heartsAnother new...all I can say about this is that, its not a bell..I'll reveal when I have more to show.
Opps! there is no update on the Garden Fairies for last month, I'll make some time to work on the GF this week and hopefully a little progress to share by next posting.
Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate your visits very much and I wish everyone a good week ahead.

9 comments:

Brigitte said...

Those fruits look very delicious! It's so interesting to read about them on your blog because I have never seen them before.

Your PIF stitching for Dawn looks really great! Looking forward to seeing a finishing picture of Hearts Entwined.

Anonymous said...

Neat post about the fruits... I've never heard of any of them before! Pretty PIF finish :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift for Dawn! So many interesting fruits, thanks for the pictures :-)

Cindy said...

You are tempting me, Lillie. Those are my favourite fruits..yummy..

Biblo said...

I just had a overload of fruits yesterday - rambutans, duku and mangoesteen... I had durian last week ! LOL!! Its the fruits season alright.

Dawn B. said...

Thank you for the PIF. I do love it much. The almost finish looks great. Can't wait to see more of the WIP.

SandraRee said...

Your fruit is so pretty! :D

Your PIF is gorgeous!

Rose said...

Aiyoh! now you are making me crave for durians and mangosteens.....

Lennu said...

Oh the cat finish is lovely, thanks for the link also!