Friday, March 02, 2018

Bangkok, the journey

For the first time during a Chinese New Year I took off on a short break and flew on a four days three nights with the kids to Bangkok, The city of Angels with seven others .  It was a short trip and we manage to cover a few of the most famous must see places. I haven't been to Bangkok in a very long, long while,  this is the first trip for the kids,

The Bangkok trip is actually one blurry trip to start with,  up till the time of departure , I had no idea of our itinerary except that we are heading to Bangkok. The "planner" , Boy of this trip who was too busy with work that he didn't have time to write down an itinerary,  his parents were literally also in the dark.  Up until the time we boarded the plane, I had no idea which Hotel or it's location until the time we were handed out the disembarkation form on the plane. I was actually prepared for two consequences; either this is going to be a disaster trip or me and the kids will split from the group and be on our own the moment we landed in Bangkok. Can you imagined going on a tour without having any prior discussions about the destination or anything related at all ? 
Our opinion was not taken into account ! 

Twist of event : Upon arrival, I was relieved a vehicle was waiting for us at the airport terminal for us and thus our destination and tour began

Wat Arun, The Temple of Dawn is a stunning temple not only because of its riverside location, but also because the design is very different to the other Thai temples that one is so accustomed to


Photo Credits to Google search as I couldn't capture such stunning photos

The fame Erawan Temple in the City
This is so famous with devotees
After day one, I reckoned that there was a possibility that there was no actual planning, the Boy seem to be very well verse in Thai language  and thus I assumed that he is a regular in Bangkok. So there were no actual planning but rather as when and it deem fit to him kinda thing. Day 2 had us visiting Pattaya, not the beach, the beach was just passing through with no stop over. We made two pit stop along the way which I had no idea where we are heading until we got there.

Wat Phra Yai
The temple on the hill. I wasn't allowed to enter as I was deemed improperly attired.
Can't blame me, seriously, I wore  shorts on that day, caused we were heading to Pattaya and 
Pattaya to me was a beach, LOL
Who was to know that we are NOT going to a beach !
The Siracha Tiger Zoo
Given a choice, I wouldn't  want to visit a zoo
but when you are travelling in a group, you go with the majority; on the other hand
we weren't told of coming here until we were there.
So we just went along as with the rest of us, I supposed. 
A groupie shot minus the Boy
The Sanctuary of Truth
This is the most iconic structure in Pattaya, intricately carved inch by inch entirely from teak wood. The awe-inspiring 105meter tall hall on the headland to the north of Wongamat Beach is one of a kind structure in the whole world. Neither a temple nor a palace despite looking like a hybrid of both. It's been in construction for 20 years and said to take another 15 more years to complete.
 So I supposed this was the actual destination we are supposed to be in Pattaya.  Here I was given a sarong, lucky me or the trip would be wasted on me and a helmet to enter the site. Workers are seen working on some parts of the structures everywhere
DAY 3
The life risking train station, Maeklong Railway Market
 How close can you get when the train arrives? Literally in your face !This was a rare sight, no other train station master will allow you get so close to an on coming train. We were like on the tracks !
After the train or before the train comes choo-choo- by, parasol are put up and business goes on as usual by the tracks.
The world famous Floating Market, Damnoen Saduak 
because we were rushing for time, we did not took the boat ride
oh well, maybe next time
Bangkok is famous for its night markets, one must really see 
Sadly, our visit did not coincide with the weekend Chatuchak market that was so popular
On most night our travel brought us back to the city rather late, our option was the Neon Night Market which was like within walking distance yet not from our hotel.
And so I took their famous tuk-tuk ride
(Imagine a tricyle and truck with a motocycle combination)
Riding on a tut-tut
with winds blowing your hair as if you were on a convertible
The driver drove like a F1 driver
not only it was a bumpy ride
my heart beats went  bumpy too
The Neon Night market, you can guessed why it was so named

Day 4 was free day until time to check out
The kids choose to sleep late after 3 days of early rise
We had a late breakfast at Terminal 21 which was a stone's throw from our hotel.
A Mall designed with World City Airport Terminal and fame for its WASHROOMS
In a Rome theme, this was featured in the Washroom
The Nautical Theme Washroom , these fabric fishes caught my attention
The Istanbul theme
London Terminal 
Japan Theme and a few more others. 
The Washrooms are the most sort after photography site

Overall, the trip was pleasant especially the people despite my initial  doubtful moments.

The beauty of this group is that, we got along very well, no questions asked and there was not a single issues arises, even though we have no idea where we are heading daily; everyday is a guessing game. I am glad that I finally came to terms with myself that I shall just go with an open mind and take one day at a time, afterall it's like waking up everyday and wondering and finding little surprises along the way. That's the sweetest moment. 

I am pretty sure what I missed now I will be back for more, LOL!

Would I have done it differently? yes definitely . I like planning a head and only if we had a round table talk we would have a better planned and omit what is not necessary especially wasted a bit too much time waiting for the train for not knowing it's schedule . If only Boy would share and let some of us take the burden from him and lighten his part of  arranging this tour. I felt that we had spent a way bit too much on our daily transportation where we could have actually may have gotten a better deal rather than negotiating with the  driver on a daily basis . I am not blaming anyone,  I know the Boy has done the best he could catering to us, we are very good tourist too, we made no demands, just follow the leader, LOL

Getting the best of the local food is always a priority to me. I like exploring the best of the local food scene, unfortunately we weren't given much of a choice where food is

The four days was a good break this Chinese New Year. It's a happy ending I would say

So until another time, Bangkok is done for now. 



5 comments:

Vickie said...

WOW Lillie! You did something I would never have done. What an adventure!! To not know what was next! Wow. The tuk-tuk ride looks wild! Those bathrooms were amazing.

Christy ♥ said...

Hola *Lillie*, que lindo viaje hicieron. No sabes como disfruto leerlo y sobre todo ver las foto, me alegro que hayas recibido bien el Nuevo Año Chino, muchas felicidades,

Besos

Margie said...

What a fun adventure! Like you, I prefer to have an itinerary prepared in advance...or at least have a rough idea of what will be visited.

P.S. Love the cute red and white polkadot teapot in your header photo.

Brigitte said...

Such wonderful pictures of Bangkok, all these gorgeous old temples and market scenes. Thanks for sharing this great journey with us.

Carol said...

Oh, my! I can't imagine taking a trip to a foreign country with no itinerary in hand! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, though--the photos you shared with us are incredible. I doubt I will ever go to Thailand so I enjoyed your photo tour. Amazing bathrooms, markets, and temples--I'm sure it was a trip you will never forget :)