Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Procastinating in April

Qing Ming aka Tomb sweeping day or All Souls Day falls on the 4th of April this year according to the Chinese calendar. We have a period of 2 weeks before and after  to pay our respects to the dead. In my case, I don't decide on the date, I was told Sunday 3rd and we just packed for my MIL's home. This year SIL being the DIL of the elder son, MIL gives her the authority to prep things needed, while I am just happy to be the sidekick. It was a day of mini gathering of  immediate family only.

The following weekend had me headed down to our Historical City of Malacca.   I have mentioned about this city before in my previous post when we did a little more of a touristy stuff. You can looked it up at my side bar if this interest you. Our purpose of this trip is to visit the orthopedic where MIL had her knee surgery in 2007. It has been a twice yearly trip ever since and the last of her two visits for the year. Glad to get that done with or I'll be constantly reminded.

While in Malacca, we had to savour this Chicken Rice Ball which is one of its kind. I mean who would thought of rice made into balls for consumption ? The best Chicken rice balls to our liking is a little out of town and out of the  tourist area, located at Batu Berendam  known as  Huang Chang Chicken Rice Restaurant.
What we like about here is the rice balls unlike those from the tourist area. The chicken is much more succulent and tastier too, more to our liking actually, but by looking at it's crowds, we are  not alone.
 My favourite Durian puff from Jonker Street.
Located at a pre-war building and they are very proud of one mouthful per puff that pops in your mouth.
I have yet to finish anything small from my UFO stash this month nor have I started on anything from my WIP that I had intended to work on since the beginning of the year. Can you believed the first quarter of the year has already gone by? My procrastinating mode is still on and instead I went on to work on 1/2" hexagons for a an unspoken SAL with the ladies from the WSG group, a result from out recent meetup.
It's unspoken because we never agreed to SAL on this actually but somehow got enticed when someone started on it, posted it on FB and that kinda put us or rather me scrambling for it. Talking about kiasu. Will see how it goes, caused the applique part is a bit of a struggle to work on.  I had to stitch the words twice too because I wasn't happy with the result the first time.
I have since put together the required 25 pieces of hexagons
I made some extra hexagons in various fabric so I could play with the colors a bit. Then I sort of position and laid out the hexagons in it's required order just to visualized as how it would be. More progress coming up next.
My  apology to some of you who have not receive my little "Thank Yous" for your comments. Actually, I did sent an email but something is not working and functioning properly as I was prompted with a returned message that reads, "Mail Delivery Notification for  Delivery Status Failure" . I can't find what's wrong with my pc at this moment, so until then please do accept my thank you for your visits and sweet comments that I so appreciate.

A note on our weather here, it has gone haywire for some months now. Today it's 97F and feels like 105F and that is scorching hot for us although we are so used to the hot weather. This weather is drying up our land and water reserve. The sky may be cloudy but there is no rain or the little rain that falls is insufficient to replenish what the sun has dried up...sadly

Till my next post, take time to smell some flowers from wherever you may be.


8 comments:

Vickie said...

Those puffs look delicious. I hope cooler weather comes soon for you.

Ariadne said...

Love all the food you show!I would eat everything to try all the tastes if I ever visited your country!LOL!AriadnefromGreece!

Carol said...

Oh, my--that is a really hot day, Lillie! We are in the low 70's here--just perfect :) I enjoyed reading about and seeing photos of your food in Malacca. Looks very yummy...

Your hexies looks so nice--really love the colors you're using :)

Hope things cool down for you and you get some rain soon!

Brigitte said...

These hexes will come together very nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing how this project progresses.
I always love to see your food pictures. This time they show wonderful things again, everything would be very much to my liking.

Lumiruusu said...

I am with Ariadne would love to taste everything in your beautiful country..Well done with your crafts !

Andrea said...

What a great insight in to your culture and the delicious looking food. Wonderful hexies. That weather of yours sounds a bit hot to me!

Nima said...

your little hexes looking lovely Lillie. and your blog header too..

Barbara J said...

Nice work on the stitchery ... one strand?