It's reveal day.
After months of procrastination, I finally decided to finish my design into pincushions inspired by the CD pincushion. It's been months of indecisiveness and pondering for ideas. It ain't easy to have come to this conclusions for the ladies, I first thought of stitching everyone with one design, but that wouldn't be fun and I might get bored stitching 6 times since I want one for myself. Then I thought I should match their individual taste, and that is a hard decision to come by. What" IF" my choice was wrong? What if they don't like what I have stitched ? What if....it was endless..
But decide I must or I will not get my gift done. I began stitching sometime in October, that is until I completed one and was about to start on the 2nd piece when my mind played tricks on me again. So here's what I have finally decided upon. I told the girls not to have too high expectation with my finishing. Nothing to "WOW", all five different designs.

After months of procrastination, I finally decided to finish my design into pincushions inspired by the CD pincushion. It's been months of indecisiveness and pondering for ideas. It ain't easy to have come to this conclusions for the ladies, I first thought of stitching everyone with one design, but that wouldn't be fun and I might get bored stitching 6 times since I want one for myself. Then I thought I should match their individual taste, and that is a hard decision to come by. What" IF" my choice was wrong? What if they don't like what I have stitched ? What if....it was endless..
But decide I must or I will not get my gift done. I began stitching sometime in October, that is until I completed one and was about to start on the 2nd piece when my mind played tricks on me again. So here's what I have finally decided upon. I told the girls not to have too high expectation with my finishing. Nothing to "WOW", all five different designs.
1) Sewing Machine & Garland ; Magazine - Creation Point de Croix
2) Red Work : Mai Broderie (Omitted the Mai and replaced a sewing machine) Broderie
3) Bird : Magazine - Palm Pole Spring Design
4) Mes fils :Design by Tara
Collection privee Coeur de Brodeuse 1B - Tralala
My Cards for the girls are all of the same materials and embellishment's
only a slightly different layout. The lady is actually a bookmark and removable from it's slot
only a slightly different layout. The lady is actually a bookmark and removable from it's slot
I made the girls picked their gift box . which by now I have no idea which pincushion are in the box. That's my point, so that I don't get labelled bias and played favorites, not that the girls are of such person. LOL but this is an added fun and mystery for the girls too as there are no clues for them to choose, it's sheer luck if they gets what they like, I hope.
and it was chaotic, they just snatch the box like hungry wolves, but it was truly fun, there was so much laughter and watching their expressions , priceless
Our hostess Jess served us tea and the most yummylicious Chocolate Mango&Strawberry Cake
I must say I fell in love with her red teapots

and I had two cups of tea, left Masala Chai Tea made by BJ with ingredients brought all the way from her home and Black Tea
Our journey to the island, Pearl of the Orient aka Penang Island where we had the Sun, Sea and Seafood . The Island of Penang is located northwest, an island well known for it's fascinating fusion of the East and West. If you find the name familiar it's because you could have read me posting about this island before.
Here we are at the front of Odeon Cinema built in the early 20th Century
now known as an Interactive Art Gallery Museum
It brought back memories of long ago for me , my school days going for movies on some weekends with schoolmates in the late 70's
Then (above)
and now, The cinema or theater was closed down sometime in 2004
Long regarded as the food capital of our Country, Penang also entices visitors with its beautiful coasts and scrumptious cuisines. Seafood was the ultimate choice for dinner and we headed to Sea Pearl Restaurant. This was the Tsunami coastline in 2004. It was dark by the time we arrived so no pictures of the sea or sunsets.
Penang embraces modernity while retaining its tradition and old world charm. These reflected in it's harmonious multiracial populace and well-preserved heritage buildings which led to George Town being accorded a listing as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site.
Old Charm, a Peranakan architecture
Once a residential grandeur turn hotel
A Peranakan (Straits Born Citizen) one can always associate the clan with its intricate Golden carvings on door panels
Mother of Pearl in-lay Opium Bed
Street Food - Local dessert "Cendol" Penang Road most popular
The dessert basic ingredients consist of coconut milk, cendol (a worm-like jelly made from rice four with green food coloring ~ usually derived from the pandan leaf), shaved ice and gula melaka (palm sugar).
and assortment of Kueh
Nyonya kuih are bite sized treats we have over tea or during breakfast. They can be sweet or savory. Even though they are small, they take a lot of time and effort to make.
Hand made kuihs are the best. Nothing can beat these little gems. Sweetened with palm sugar, garnished with grated fresh coconut and colorful to boot, most people simply succumb to their charm.
Pai Tee (Top Hat)
My favourite treat. Great things do come in small packages, Alluringly gorgeous in presentation. Pai Tee are virtuous snacks that showcase clean flavors and brilliant combination of fresh ingredients–it’s undeniably one of the most inventive and vividly luscious Nyonya creations. Making Kuih Pie Tee is no small feat as it requires ample amount of patience and time. With its aesthetic so crisp, delicate, beautiful, the results are well worth the effort. The two-step process starts with the making of the cases or “top hats” with a metal mold, follow by the cooking of julienned jicama, carrot, and chopped shrimp. These ingredients are then assembled to form these eye candy treats. It's such a delicious munchies.
Rojak literally means fruits salad but unlike the western salad, this comes with a thick black sweet and spicy sauce garnished with pounded groundnuts . It is certainly one of the main favorite among locals . Sold in almost every part of the island from hawker stalls up to a more fancied restaurants,
We had a little lesson/demo on Sashiko Embroidery from our hostess, Jess . We had marvel at one of her pieces some time back and it was so sweet of her to provide us with a little kit. Mine is on the far right, the sweet pink rose. Three of us completed ours after a little persuasion to let us take it back to our hotel for the evening, the blue piece was partly done but wanted a share for the show and tell. I won't name but you know who you are, if you are reading this, LOL
What did I received ? It was simply amazing and fantabulous. I'll reveal in my next post.
This is getting a bit too long.
Thank you so much to all who had commented in my last post, truly appreciate that you came by and glad you enjoyed my ramblings.
Take care everyone !























8 comments:
Wow, what a wonderful get-together this must have been. And a great birthday exchange. I love your idea to prepare these gift boxes for your friends. Everyone must have been thrilled with the contents you added.
Oh I think your cd pincushions turned out fantastic! What great gifts you put together. Such gorgeous photos you have shared.
Oh I think your cd pincushions turned out fantastic! What great gifts you put together. Such gorgeous photos you have shared.
Your cards and stitched gifts all turned out so well, Lillie--looks like a fun and festive gathering with your friends. I look forward to seeing what you brought home with you, too!
What a great blogpost!How lovely all the gifts you made!And the food looks delicious!AriadnefromGreece!
I had such a great time too. Did MW finish hers? :p
Beautiful gifts for your friends.
Such a great post, Lillie! Lots of pictures...and oh all those yummy foodies!!
Happy holidays!!
Post a Comment