Last year, BJ convinced me that I am capable of stepping out of my comfort zone, but I love my comfort zone, it's so cozy and there is this feeling of contentment. I rather not take risk because if there is some thing unexpected I would know what to do. With quilting? I am practically a pre-schooler.
To challenge myself out of my comfort zone and exposing my vulnerability with the groups of ladies who are accomplished quilters or better sewing skill, in case someone "jump up" and deny that fact, can be very terrifying. I was self conscious about things that I might be doing the "wrong" way and to make matters worst, I don't even own a super efficient sewing machine. No doubts that I had my moments. I was very nervous about working a pattern and choosing the fabrics. There's many times I created not only ugly, unworkable blocks but wasted fabrics too. And on every challenge month, I did it with doubts, sometimes scared of mailing our my blocks to the birthday girl. Worried sick that my blocks are not precisely the way "everyone" expects it to be because I did it my way. But I tried and I didn't give up or chicken out because I made a commitment or the ladies will have insufficient blocks to finish. And so everyone had to just be contented with my wonky and unperfect blocks.
Whereas, I got the best part of the deal, I received perfect blocks from the ladies in-exchanged for my imperfect blocks. My turn to received my BBE finally came. Here are my gorgeous REDS of 11 Blocks of 9 patch. My Color theme : Red and White. Block size : 6 1/2" unfinish
From Jess W. I love how the reds all go together regardless of the depth of the fabric colors, design and style even the polka dots. Knowing that I collect tape measurements, J included in her package two vintage tape measurements and a new purchase from Melbourne and a Wooden Owl Frame.
The blocks from Margaret W, a beautiful selections of different red fabrics put together It's simply luscious, I like how the deep red fabrics standout from the softer reds. In her package, there's two mini charm packs and a box of Color Catcher. The latter would sure come in handy later on.
The next blocks of reds came from BJ and I love how she team up all the different French General fabrics together to create an absolute harmonious beauty of reds. And there's this adorable owl fabric pouch that without doubts sewed by BJ as well as a mini charm pack.
The final blocks to arrive came from June. Her reds are a combinations ranging from dark to medium reds. It's an extremely delightful combinations of fabrics. Her choice of white tone on tone popped out among the sea of reds. She also sent me a lovely spool trims and letter pad.
Thank you ladies for all your gorgeous reds and an opportunity for me to improve my skills in the process and create a memorable quilt. One thing for sure, I don't know if I will have the confidence to work through another challenge like this again. The stress can be unbearable..yet I wonder what is the next challenge will be.
On a sad note, my FIL succumbs to lung cancer on September 20th after battling for approximately three and half months. That was when he was first diagnosed, he was already at Stage 4. He has never felt any pain anywhere prior to a back ache, when the pain became unbearable, he was taken to the hospital and given a scan and came home with the devastating news.
A week later, we went out for dinner at Red Bean Bag Restaurant in Publika. It was a very quiet evening. We are still in mourning and there's not to be any celebration of any kind. for at least a year. We spotted couples in a ballroom dancing competition on the ground floor from our table. It was too far for my mobile phone to take pictures. Lovely couples and their dance was mesmerizing. To me they are all winners.
After dinner we proceed to Mad About Coco for our desserts. since we did not have any cake or more precise blowing out candles on a cake.
Feeling like a Majesty indeed with my Majestic Tea Teapot of Chamomile Tea.
I now have a new guy to accompany me in the kitchen. It's gift from my dear DS. I wonder if this is a hint from him ?? Must remind myself now to add a little more than a dash of love in my cooking or should I not? so he can sent me another chef next year?? LOL
I shall end my post now with a new found word of comfort
its the cover of the menu from Mad About Coco
We are having afternoon and evening rains again, it's the time of the year
Hope you have a wonderful and lovely season
where ever you may be.
Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate your visits.
Credits : * Thank You* image via google search














10 comments:
It is raining here today too Lillie.
Your reds are so wonderful! Good for you. You have done well this year.
I am sorry about your FIL.
I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL, Lillie--please accept my condolences...
Your red blocks from quilting friends are so beautiful and I'm sure yours turned out just fine. I think you are very brave to step outside of your comfort zone--I have trouble doing that, too!
Enjoy your October!
Thank You for visiting my blog again:) I am so sorry for your FIL ...
The red and white blocks are all very pretty-I am so proud of all your quilting efforts! :)
The quilt squares you received were all beautiful, and I'm sure yours were equally lovely. We always seem to be much harder on ourselves than we should be. The food you had looks delicious, especially the desserts. I went to the Cheesecake factory here a bit ago for the first time and had a wonderful dessert there. I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL, my deepest condolences to you and your family. Sue
I am new to your blog so thought I'd say hello.
Your red blocks are beautiful.
So sorry about your FIL.
Lovely quilt squares. Everybody has to learn somehow, I'm sure your squares were just as good.
Sorry to hear about your FIL.
Your quilt is going to turn out gorgeous, Lillie. I too feel we need to rest for a while before any more exhaustive quilting exchanges. Lol.
And I am sure your FIL was happy to have such a filial DIL, his soul will surely be at peace.
So sorry to hear about your FIL, so sad for you and the family to lose such a close family member.
All the blocks that you received are wonderful. What a wonderful colour combination you chose - red and white. Your will be able to make a beautiful quilt with these blocks. In my opinion the blocks that your created for this exchange during the last months were just as beautiful as the ones that you received.
Comfort zone, comfort zone, blah, blah...! I'm very happy with the blocks I got from you and so happy to hear you are kind enough to say you like mine. Your quilt will be fantastic.
Sorry about your FIL.
JessW.
Sorry to hear about your FIL .
Your blog is lovely , I have enjoyed looking at it today and will be back, love the quilt.
Post a Comment