Tuesday, September 02, 2014

August Block Exchange

It's finally done, the last set of blocks on my list !  Well at least for me it's done because I'm last on our receiving list for this BBE 2014 exchange.  So now that I have completed my blocks for August and mailed, all I have to do is to sit back and anticipate the arrival of September, my month. I am grinning from ear to ear, LOL

August blocks for Margaret, fabrics colors in line with Blackbird range of colors.
My fabrics range from Moda, French General, Kaufman and some unlisted from my stash and I dare say these are my most daring attempt  thus far. Not all perfectly perfect, there's flaws, discarded a few, re-stitch a few but I had fun sewing, laughing at my own silly mistakes and learning in the process. Let's just hope that Margaret will not be pulling her hair during her final sewing up my blocks with the others.
Quantity 9 blocks - Block Size 6 1/2"
My blocks comprising Ohio Star
 Two-Patch Pinwheel
Hand quilted Grandmother's fan block
(Sorry I couldn't rotate this, I tried and the size was automatically reduced to very small)
 I've still haven't found my stitching mojo and while I was procrastinating until the very last moment,  I ended  up with finishing a pincushion from the 2 patch Pinwheel block.


A tiny bits of extras to go along with my package and I was like a week late in mailing her package
Luckily it arrived the next day and not over the 3 days weekend.
We had a three days weekend last week and DH and me with some 7 people traveled to Sekinchan for a day's trip for some sight seeing and seafood.
Sekinchan is kinda famous for its paddy but at this time it  look like planting season in progress, so there are no swaying or dancing paddy, just flat land as far as the horizon
Took a peek into an orchard belonging to YB Ng Swee Lin, a local assemblyman
Lots of Pomelo, a citrus family

and  Jambu Air  aka  Rose Apple ? Bell Fruit ??Water Cherry (names via google search)
Scientifically known as  Syzygium aqueum,  a species of brush cherry tree.
In harvest
and Pantai Redang,  is not far away, someone suggested a short visit for some shrimp fritters and feel the sea breeze. I was here sometime in May with  Jaimis and the kids, Shhhhhh....DH has no idea I was here before, LOL  I had a post about the tree that is raining red,  thus, I won't go into it anymore. Here's a picture from a distance of the tree with the temple building . It's really a pretty sight from a far.....minus the car

Mid Autumn Festival is this weekend
It's the time of the year again for our Mid Autumn Festival, also known as Mooncake Festival or Lantern Festival because the festival is for lunar worship and moon watching.  The Mid-Autumn Festival is one of the four most important Chinese festivals when mooncakes are regarded as an indispensable delicacy for the festivity.  Mooncakes are offered between friends or on family gatherings while celebrating the festival. . This year, I attempted my first  Mooncake making with the easiest version of all,  the Jelly Mooncakes
Jelly  Pandan Mooncake with mock redbean and egg yolk paste and killing two birds with one stone fwith the same ingredients, this is the  Pandan with Lotus paste
The names are fancy but it takes after the traditional mooncakes. This is after all Jelly.
Taste wise,  it's JELLY with different fusion of  flavour such as  Screw pine juice, Palm sugar  as Redbean and sometimes  added with a little milk or coconut milk just to obtain the colour to mimic the traditional mooncake.
Pumpkin puree for the mock egg yolks which in my case it also doubles as Lotus paste
A little on the exotic note are the Jelly Dragon Fruit Mooncake , with Dragon fruits puree and
 black sesame-coconut milk and egg yolk fillinngs


That's about it, my first September posting. There's a bit of festivity this weekend in DH's village.  I hope to get some good pictures and maybe blog about it later. In the meanwhile, thanks to all who came by,  thank you for your lovely comments, you are my source of  inspirations to keep on blogging.



Have a wonderful good week ahead.

4 comments:

Lumiruusu said...

Thank You for visiting m blog Lillie! The quilt sqares you have made are all antastic -that is something far oo complicated to me so I really relly like to see other ladies sewn projects. Sometimes we just do not have that "Stitching Mojo" and for me best thing in that situation is to concencrate to other things I like reading,papercafting,writing snail maill letters or cleaning and descorating my home. When seeing prettythings on internet I someday found my mojo has come back!1 The sweets you have made look really pretty and exotic for me :)

Vickie said...

You are truly getting comfortable with quilting I would say.
Always new foods for me to see here!

Carol said...

Your blocks look wonderful, Lillie! I'll bet you can hardly wait to receive yours in September :)

Always enjoy seeing your travel and food photos--everything looks so very different than here in the U.S.!

Mylene said...

Those cakes looks so yummmmy.
Lovely blocks and you're really into quilting...