Thursday, July 10, 2014

Saigon, the City of Ho Chi Min Part 1

Visting Ho Chi Minh was a great experience. I envisioned it to be rustic and a lil' bit dusty like Thailand. Surprisingly I was so wrong. The city had the perks of a modern city although the traffic is well, a bit more chaotic.  One thing definitely, you can never go hungry in the city. We had the opportunity to taste a variety of  the famousVietnamese Pho (noodles);  Pork Pho, Beef Pho and Crabmeat balls Pho for breakfast daily besides English breakfast.  Breakfast is served ala carte from 7am to 12noon, it was included in our room reservations.


I'll be as brief as possible coz it's going to be heavy with photos.
Pho Beef
When you are a hard core coffee drinker Vietnam is haven

Basically we did all the tourist thingy
War Remnants Museum, as the name suggest it's all  things remnants from the war
either captured or abandoned
Its  indoor museum houses an extensive catalog of the War in Vietname inclulding the effects from Agent Orange which is truly heartbreaking. 
Cu Chi Tunnel is the famous and legendary battleground of the Vietnam war. 
It's an underground network with connecting tunnels at a distance of 250km and divided into 3 levels.
Two of the many various death traps that cripple you once fallen into
Fancy finding me in the underground sewing room?
The first part of the tunnel literally had you crawling in. I only went in the first section of the tunnel and already felt claustrophobia
The young forest after Agent Orange which was replanted in the 70's
Heavy downpour that afternoon forced us to take shelter at the Souvenir Shop
We had corns and beers while waiting for the rain to stops.

Have a read about the War in the Cu Chi Tunnels if it interest you. 
Our journey ended with a late lunch at a restaurant that caught our sight on the way to Cu Chi.
 
a very country setting
Coal grilled chicken with coal grilled rice
Clams ginger and lemon grass
Fried Spring rolls 
Grilled fish
After meal desserts

 This is actually our Day 2
............Continue Part 2

Thank you all for visiting me in the last post. Hope you will enjoy this as well.

5 comments:

Vickie said...

How extremely interesting Lillie. I did read about the war with the link you provided too.

Carol said...

What an interesting post, Lillie! Looks like you saw some unusual sights (I could never have gone into that tiny tunnel!) and ate some tasty new foods. Looking forward to seeing more photos soon :)

dixiesamplar said...

Wow...what a spectacular trip!!

Ellen said...

Wah, love the food! Look very yummy!
Must visit Vietnam one day!

I am still stitching but not blogging much, so my blog is not updated recently ha ha!

Hugs,

Andrea said...

I'm really not sure about the tunnel either. It looks a very interesting place.