Thursday, July 27, 2017

Winter in July

Nope, still no stitching or crafting  but that's where I was as June was coming to an end. We had a three days weekend and I took the rest of the week off and flew to Melbourne, down under  for a week to meet up with Diane who is already in Melb as an exchange student.  It's been almost thirty years since  I last set foot in Melbourne. And I planned lots.
The State Library - DOME, a stunning architecture  was where we meet up with Diane who flew back from her trip to Gold Coast on our day of arrival .
We made a pit stop at the Shrine of Remembrance on our way to St Kilda and  these lovely embroidery postcards caught my attention
St Kilda , Home of  Luna Park
We had a mid morning brunch at Sisters of Soul in St Kilda
and some pastry from the bakery next door
Beach front at St Kilda
Just look at the rain threating sky
next stop Port Campbell, 
Shipwreck coast and epic tale of adventure and survival, beautiful coastal scenery
 Like any tourist,  we were brought to so call immerse ourselves with nature . We took the shortest trail walking under the lush huge ferns feeling dwarfed in Otaways Forest . The ancient  trees are not only sky tall but are among the tallest .  I was worried of an encounter with some slithering reptile throughout my walk but I didn't see any,  but that doesn't mean that' it 'didn't see me right ? 'Shivers' plus some fallen trees or curvy branches with a  gloomy skyline looked kinda scary.
Maybe it's because of the rain, it made the day even colder, even my hands felt icy. 
The path way was damp and slippery too. 
The journey on the Great Ocean Road was a wet, wet day but that's not going to deterred us from the magnificent sight of 20 million years of wonder, the 12 apostles, now only 8 remains. The wind was restless and the waves so powerful, and you should have see us and how we were so blown away by the wind in our newly acquired "haute contour" aka waterproof lime green poncho. LOL
And we need to do this too, since Diane had not been here 
A ride on the Australia's most notable steam locomotive,  Puffing Billy and tasting the bush billy tea with lamingtons and vegie mite, yums
A quickie brunch at the quaint village of Sassfras where I had their lamingtons
A delightful day at some wineries
Love the chilly weather


Dominique Portet , Killara Estate & Rochas Estate were the few we went 
The weather was simply beautiful on our visits to the wineries
the estate was so serene and tranquil 
Regrettably I didn't bought any of these specialty nougat.
You know when you thought you'll save it for later after you've seen everything and ended up with short of time because of a crowd at the cashier from a  bus load of people who happened to came by and then thought that maybe you could get it elsewhere but that elsewhere was no where to be seen ?. Sigh!
Pitt stop to the 'little room' ,  ended up for some beers  at  Coldstream, a cosy tarven 
A mid morning brunch tasting local produce at Gateway Estate
 Bunny guarding the kitchen at the Chocolatier and Ice Creamery at Yarra
Thought  these was cute.  Froggy on the lotus leave
Another on my must visit and must do
The bathing box of Brighton Beach, remnant of an asset from a bygone era
I just simply had to come here too for some photos
Queen Victoria Market 
Definitely "can't not go". It's so famous that if you don't, it's like you've never set foot in Melb.
We were lucky that we caught the Wednesday Winter Night Market by chance. 
A perfect shot I must say of everything Australia's , even the flag is perfect !
' Luccello '
The joy of a crafter, Diane posted in her snap : " Mummy's haven !" how true!
Luccello, the fabulous haberdashery of crafty things where crafty friends back home was urging me to visit when I thought I might have to give it a miss.  So glad I didn't and made it. Thank you,  Jess and Margaret for your unfailing insistence. Sweet of  Kim to agreed for a photoshoot of us.
Fabulous and friendly service to boot.
While in the building, I popped into Kimono too and the one next door to Luccello, which had some very interesting yet  unusual stuff,  can't recall the shop name.
I simply had to bring this baby home
(Photo from Luccello fb, I haven't unpack mine, LOL)
It's an antique tiny German sewing machine and the only piece left on the shelf
 Some fabrics and kits from Luccello
I can only show you these as I have some items for a later exchange and can't have my partner take a peek, and I know the girls from WSG crafting group are dying to know what I got from Luccello since I have not posted any of these to the group :D
Scenes that caught my eyes while we journeyed to Philip Island
Serene and lovely sighting of farm animals

These was on the wall at the Wildlife park
One last cuppa, on my last day
Everything good must come to an end
I wished I could stayed on  another week, but work is waiting.
I enjoyed the week long of cool and chilly weather,  no I don't like my hot and humid weather upon return. I began to sweat the moment I walked out of the plane. Haha!
Hope you enjoyed a summary of my week long Winter in Melbourne, Victoria
I've been pretty busy catching up on work on my return and on some weekends entertaining a few July girls' birthdays
 and meeting up the girls from college 
July is soon to end
One more birthday dinner to attend and that will bring a closure of my July month.
Some interesting crafting are on the table and  coming up soon, until then, wishing all  a wonderful month of August.

*edited 28/7/17

7 comments:

Vickie said...

Wow! Thank you Lillie for taking us along to Melbourne! You certainly packed a lot in your week there.

Ariadne said...

That must have been a great trip!Are those cross stitch kits under the fabric?AriadnefromGreece!

Carol said...

How wonderful that you were able to visit your daughter in Australia, Lillie! I hope I get to visit there some day--it's on my list :)

Good that you got to see such a wonderful variety of things and even found some pretty fabrics to take home with you!

Enjoy your last few days of July--so hard to believe August is almost here!

krishna said...

Beautiful pictures... Nice place to visit ...

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

Christy ♥ said...

Buenas tardes Lillie, que alegría saber que has tenido un viaje maravilloso a Melbourn, ver y disfrutas las fotos de todos esos lugares maravillosos que has visitado y me encanto la maquina de coser.
Te cuento hoy en mi país (Perú) hoy se celebra las Fiesta Patrias y estamos de fiesta.
Un cariño a la distancia de tu amiga,

Silvia (Christy)

Brigitte said...

So wonderful to follow you on your trip to Melbourne. And what treat for you to see your daughter there.
Thanks for sharing so many pictures, Lillie.

Margie said...

What a fun trip! I can totally relate to tourist's buyer's remorse!