It's Winter Solstice festival today where we associated it with the Old Chinese Calendar which is still celebrated today. Traditionally, the Dongzhi Festival is also a time for the family to get together. One activity that occurs during these get-together is making of Tang Yuen, the sweet/savory Glutinous Rice Balls and eating dumplings and a family feast.
We are not allowed to celebrate this day last year and the two previous years to mourn the passing of my FIL. So this year, we are having a little feast within the family and enjoying a bowl of Tang Yuen (Glutinous Rice balls cooked sweet or savory ) to symbolize completeness. There are many versions of cooking this Tang Yuan.
We are not allowed to celebrate this day last year and the two previous years to mourn the passing of my FIL. So this year, we are having a little feast within the family and enjoying a bowl of Tang Yuen (Glutinous Rice balls cooked sweet or savory ) to symbolize completeness. There are many versions of cooking this Tang Yuan.
A bowl from my kitchen this year
White Fungus and Longan sprinkle with Osmanthus Flower with 3 varieties of Glutinous Rice Balls.
plain for the smaller ones, a slightly bigger balls with a hue of green is filled with Sesame paste and Adzuki Bean Paste in white. Why three varieties? Well, initially I wanted to cook two version of tang yuan, the other with Soy milk but the idea got toss out when my home was hit with two days of water disruption due to some maintenance work by the Water Works Department and that eventually just kills the mood.
Chirstmas is just round the corner and these are what I initially planned for my cruise stitching which I didn't get to stitch until two weeks ago when I had a three days weekend. I wanted something that would provide a less physically demanding and concentration while on the cruise and I didn't get to put in a single stitch.
I only got to put in the finishing for four. Here's two more
This is from the 2016 JCS Christmas Ornament Issue which I finish only about a week ago
Here's wishing all a Blessed Merry Christmas !
May the sweet magic of Christmas
Not only fills in your heart and soul
May you experience laughter and lots of joy
and spend many moments of glee with your family
Wishing you and your family
Merry Christmas
and
A Happy New Year !
Its the year of the Rooster in 2017
in accordance to the sequence in the Chinese Calender








8 comments:
Lillie your stitching is so very cute! Merry Christmas!
I'm sure your celebration was extra special after not being able to celebrate it for the last two years, Lillie...
I love your little ornaments--anything red and white is always so cheery! And they are finished beautifully, too.
Wishing you a wonderful Christmas with your family!
A beautiful and yummy post, Lillie.
Your Tang Yuen looks gorgeous, and I know three guys in my family (hubby, and our 2 sons) who would be drooling over it...and I love a tradition that includes family togetherness, and the symbol of completeness.
I love your stitching, and your finishes are so pretty, what a nice treat in time for Christmas. I'm glad that you were able to just relax and enjoy your cruise, and were too busy having fun to stitch. The bluebird snowman is so sweet, and the colors are perfect!
May your Christmas be blessed beyond your wildest dreams, and may your New Year be filled with peace, love and luck.
Hugs
Wonderful stitcheries.
Have a vey Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Wishing you all the best for the holidays!AriadnefromGreece!
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and good to see all your beautiful stitcheries
Love the "Just Chill" ornament.
For the longest time, I thought I was born in the year of the Monkey, but it turned out to be the year of the Rat. Whoops!
Thank you for the visit and Merry Christmas!
So great to read that you could enjoy the festivities again this year, Lillie. That bowl looks great and I'm sure everyone was savoring the food.
Your stitched ornaments are beautiful.
Post a Comment