Monday, June 06, 2016

Here comes rain

We are experiencing some heavy downpour lately from early afternoon to late evening resulting in flash floods in several areas in the city. The thunderstorm rain had caused unexpected flash floods. On days such as these, I am glad I no longer work in the city but closer to home.

Mid year brings fruit season. The first to flood the market and night market towards the end of April or early May are the various variety of Mangoes. It's seasonal and by now it's almost end of it's season soon to be taken over by the foul smelling spiky skin durians and the purple mangosteen. In between these fruits season, we see a little more of blueberries and strawberries as well as cherries with it's rate going a little cheaper than usual.
Catching the last lot of mangoes, I made a batch of Mango Chutney to go with my roast chicken.
Chinese Dumpling Festival aka the Dragon boat festival falls on Thursday, 9. No work holiday for such festivity.  Dragon boat race are part of the festivity held at state level only at certain states where there's sea or large enough lake.  I am contented with another year of polishing my dumpling wrapping skill.  I made only 700gm of Glutionous rice dumpling this round . Like last year,  I made the  Nyonya version plus testing out  a small batch of Ginger Chicken flavor this year. I didn't soaked the rice blue but left it white instead. Made this last Friday so I can have some delivered to Diane during the weekend.
Prepping the ingredients. It takes 2 days to prep. First the ingredients and the leaves need to be boiled followed by washing and soaking the glutinous rice with the bunga telang (blue pea) to give the rice it's blue color . Day 2 sees to the finishing and boiling the wrapped dumplings for some three hours. I have posted about this festivity before. You can read more of this festivity here . This is only my third year at wrapping the chang.  
A little peek for a swap. I have also crochet a little something to go with my swap.
Last Sunday I went to our old Railway Station to fetch mom home from her a week long visiting her sister. This is the administration building located opposite the train station which is contrast with the station. Designed by Arthur Benison Hubback, a British who incorporated the unique Anglo - Asian architecture in the region with the Neo-Moorish/Mughal/Indo-Saracenic style that was completed in 1910.
Today, this is no longer the main station as a new one, known as the KL Sentral was built to take over it's function. A bus operator running the North-South Express route has taken office here.
 View from one of the arch. I had always wanted to take a shot of a bird's eye.
This week I manage to finish two Christmas design.
Actually one, the reindeer is still short of 2 snowflakes
Bent Creek and Lizzie Kate design.
My poor princess making her statement, LOL !
Wishing all a wonderful good week ahead.
Thanks for coming by



8 comments:

KimM said...

Hi, Lillie! I really enjoyed your post. The photos of the train station - love the Keyhole picture. Your chutney looks incredible - I'm sure it tastes magnificent. Hmmmmmm......wonder what your swap gifts are? You tease, you! :0) Lovely Christmas ornaments, too. Take care
xxx

Barbara J said...

Good job on the bak chang! So much prep. Nothing like making your own at least you know all the ingredients that goes into it.

Stitching Christmas ornaments already? You're fast!

Vickie said...

I like your two Christmas stitches.

Deb said...

Your Christmas stitcheries are so cute, your dumplings look amzing.

Carol said...

It is always so interesting to read about and see photos of your special foods and hear about your holidays, Lillie! I can't imagine two days of prep to make the dumplings--wow! I'll bet they are very tasty...

Love your little Christmas finishes and your sweet kitty :)

Enjoy your month of June!

Mii Stitch said...

Cute little Christmas stitchy finishes!!

Brigitte said...

A lovely and newsy catch-up pots, Lillie. I remember reading about the Chinese Dumpling Festival before on your blog. It must be a lot of work to prepare all of this. But it must be delicious.
Two great new ornaments that you stitched.

Lumiruusu said...

The Christmas stitchings are both very cute and lovely..I always start my Christmas Stitching season from July :) LOL we are both early birds !! :)