It's been weeks since my last blog post and that long too since I last went on my blog rounds. It's the time of the year indeed, lots to do, work is hectic as usual this time of the year and it's bad time too for upgrading the company's software, but the boss insisted now rather than a month later. It's not easy especially when this old brain of mine has finally found a comfort zone and to start all over again, feeling dreadful here.
Chinese New Year or the Lunar New Year falls on February 8th this year and the firm will be close for the whole week, which means I am off from the 6th until 14th, Valentine's day. Big smile here, LOL. Spring cleaning began slowly some two weeks ago. Every year, during spring cleaning I discarded lots of load and yet there's so much to throw out again this year. Now, how did all those stuff gets accumulated ??? Seriously, I don't have a clue !
Red in Chinese New Year is an expression of joy. Hanging red lantern are believed to drive off bad luck and couplets ; couplets are brush works of Chinese calligraphy in black ink on red paper placed either on both side of the front doors or on the door to symbolize good luck or bring luck and auspiciousness in the Chinese culture. I never hang couplets but an eighteen feet red sash on my front entrance, a traditional practiced from my side of the family for as long as I can remember .
I changed the curtains too, store bought this year, a chiffon with needle punch embroidery in moroon red with a tinge of bluish discarding the white semi-sheer lightweight from two years ago. The staircase gets a dressup too with those ornaments . Now let's hope my lil' Princess Milo don't get the idea that I have put up some toys for her to play.
Chinese New Year or the Lunar New Year falls on February 8th this year and the firm will be close for the whole week, which means I am off from the 6th until 14th, Valentine's day. Big smile here, LOL. Spring cleaning began slowly some two weeks ago. Every year, during spring cleaning I discarded lots of load and yet there's so much to throw out again this year. Now, how did all those stuff gets accumulated ??? Seriously, I don't have a clue !
Red in Chinese New Year is an expression of joy. Hanging red lantern are believed to drive off bad luck and couplets ; couplets are brush works of Chinese calligraphy in black ink on red paper placed either on both side of the front doors or on the door to symbolize good luck or bring luck and auspiciousness in the Chinese culture. I never hang couplets but an eighteen feet red sash on my front entrance, a traditional practiced from my side of the family for as long as I can remember .
I changed the curtains too, store bought this year, a chiffon with needle punch embroidery in moroon red with a tinge of bluish discarding the white semi-sheer lightweight from two years ago. The staircase gets a dressup too with those ornaments . Now let's hope my lil' Princess Milo don't get the idea that I have put up some toys for her to play.
Going a little out of tradition this year, I baked for the first time Cinnamon cookies. You'll find this recipe from All Recipe.com . My Seaweed crackers is half done and am planning a pineapple tart later of the week.
Some crafting news, for the first time I finished this crocheted tunic in two weeks. I didn't have enough yarns in my stash and opted for this simple pattern where the yarns was just sufficient to complete this. I added two doily motifs just to give it a bit of a something to look at.
Yarn : Cotton Juicy Boucle (Blue (5)) from Daiso
Something small I finished this January
A chart named Brin de Bonheur a freebie found Here
I missed calculated and doubt I have enough space for the wordings
A round robin, my theme of Winter Home from a long ago rounds when I was still with a local group. It holds great memories from these wonderful ladies, Anna, Margaret and especially Janet. Although it's been some two years or three ? since the dreadful cancer took Janet's life, yet I can still vividly remembers her warmth and kind smile that drew people to her, she will always be remembered.
This is something I need to ponder during the long holidays as to what I should do with the space below the houses. Thot of adding the lace did came to mind, will see how it goes and what sets my mood by then.
Had a three days weekend last and I took mom out for some festive shopping. We had some me time and she even agreed to play along with some selfies with the festive decorations in the mall before we had lunch at Nandos.
Nando's Specialty Grilled Chicken Cataplana for mom
Mushroom soup with garlic bread for both of us
and I had the Chicken wrap
Something I missed out from my trip to Koh Lipe island. While at the Walking Street, we found this little one man craft shop who crafted these and both mother and daughter was spoilt by choice before we finally hauled these home.
That's it for now, doubt I'll have time to squeeze another update before the festival and so till then, take care everyone, especially those effected by the dreaded snow storms, stay warm please and stay safe, while those experiencing the heat wave like us here, drink lots and lots of water .
Till I see you next, have a good rest of the week.










7 comments:
Great post, Lillie. Enjoyed reading....Love the Tunic you've made and the round robin looks beautiful...not sure with the lace under it though. Goodluck with everything coming weeks and hope you have some me time soon.
So sorry to hear that you are so extremely busy at work. I can understand that you are longing for the one week vacation during your New Year's festivities when you will be able to recover a bit from the stress at work. So interesting to read about the meaning of the colour red for the Chinese New Year.
I haven't started my spring cleaning yet although we have spring like temperatures. But the winter isn't over yet, the cold weather will be back, I'm sure. Whenever I try to de-clutter the house I ask myself the same question: where does all this stuff come from? Lol.
Your crocheted tunic looks so good. And your little stitching project will look so nice when finished. Looking forward to seeing what you will be doing with Winter Home. Such a beautiful piece.
How wonderful to have a week off soon. You will find plenty to do. Your tunic is great. I love the color.
your round Robin is pretty. the food looks amazing.
The Round Robin looks really beautiful!And the food looks so tasty!Enjoy the New Year!AriadnefromGreece!
Love your crocheted tunic finish, the color is lovely :)
What a nice post, Lillie--filled with wonderful stitching, crocheting, and cooking! Don't you love Allrecipes. com? So many tasty and helpful recipes :)
I know just what you mean about computer changes at work! What headaches they cause... I just get used to one thing and then they change it--very hard to keep up with the times!
Hope your February is going well!
Post a Comment