Wednesday, July 15, 2009

When East meets West

Nonya ceramics or Straits Chinese Porcelain or Nonya ware is a representative of a great culture and a unique heritage of the Baba Nyonya people. There is very little documented history on the production of such porcelain during the late 19th and early 20th century.The wares were meant specifically for that small ethnic group in South-East Asian market, namely Penang, Malacca, Singapore and a small part of Indonesia. If you have not seen such ware before, its a bit difficult to explain. I shall not go into it, instead pictures here are an example of such ceramic ware with its unique coordination of colors .

From the Pinang Peranakan Mansion in Penang .


Today, the wares are sort after by modern-day collectors of Chinese ceramics, Nonya ware are categorised under the famille rose porcelain group. They were mere household objects for ceremonial and utilitarian functions. But for the Baba and Nonya community, they prized them for their ostentatious colours and motifs.


The colors may be shocking to some, not me. I don't find their taste peculiar. As you may noticed from the pictures, the wares are usually a blend of pink, yellow, green , dark blue but there is a line in coral based too.


With that colors in mind, I have decided to bring east and west together, the nyonya ceramic colors as my choice palette on Mary Wigham SAL. Here is a peek at my effort on Belfast 32ct White linen as I tends to be fickle with the colors.I hoped I don't stray away from this idea as I goes on.
Fiber colors todate : DMC 760, 221, 3810 and 3326

My country/area Mary Wigham headgirl is BJ, for Asia SAL (except Japan)

Thank you for stopping by.


5 comments:

Meari said...

Those ceramics are beautiful! Your sampler looks great so far.

Janet C said...

What a great way to merge East and West. Good luck on the MW (not margaret W)sampler! ;)

Nima said...

ceramics look pretty. ...i like the choice of your colour for your sampler

Brigitte said...

A very interesting colour choice which isn't see very often. I really love the effect.

Dawn B. said...

I love the colors of the ceramics and think you did good on getting them on the SAL.